Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My first cake class

Finally after looking for a good cake class for the past 4 years, I joined one 2 weeks back.
Its a Diploma in cake decorating and Sculpting.Not what I was exactly looking for but I joined because I want to learn to do my own cakes with icing and  flowers .

The teacher did her cake course at Wilton( in USA) so her techniques are a combination of  Wilton methods and a few local methods as well. She takes only about 10 students per class so its not crowded and we get to ask a lot of questions . well I'm the only one who ends up interrupting ,most of the time, to ask questions. Since I'm  new to cakes I have LOT OF QUESTIONS. I still have more to ask

One question I missed last week is : "After I make the cake mixture and I'm unable to bake it( due to a sudden violent thunderstorm .Seriously this happened to me but I manage to bake it before the thunder started) , how long can the cake mixture be kept?' (anybody reading this blog know the answer?????)

The first lesson was all about basic cakes for beginners : butter cake,Ribbon cake, marble cake, chocolate cake and sponge cake.Its the same old recipe but with a few tips and hints on how to do it the PROPER WAY.
I learnt to make soft delicious cakes that melts in my mouth.....Yummy.


So this week we learnt 7 cakes .First class was how to make the cake .Second was how to do the icing and decorate it. The cakes were:
Popcorn cake, Pizza, Burger, Clown, 1st Birthday, Basket of Flowers, Santa (but she told us how we can turn the santa into a teddy bear, a girl, a boy and a monkey as well)







POPCORN: Another version is the popcorn bucket





BURGER: with french fries and Ketchup.
 
 
CLOWN CAKE
My favourite
 

PIZZA
BASKET OF FLOWERS
SANTA

Next weeks ,we are learning more cakes .

With a little practice I guess I could be starting my own Lil cake shop in the future (inshallah).For now I'll just stick to baking cakes for myself , family and friends.If anyone wants a cake or cupcake done for a special occasion at an affordable price call me up .

When I mean any special occasion, 3 tiered wedding cakes  that you find in magazines and on tv's are out of that list .

4 comments:

  1. woooww... these r stunningg!!! cant believe u made them.... especially loved the flower basket, r u using butter icing for that?? keep us posted about ur cake class maya.. its delicious to watch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know how the hamburger was made. Cut a cake into two or what?

    Hey you can go for the tiered cakes as well. Just a matter of coating rigifoam in icing. :)

    Go for it insha Allah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou, thankyou but I didnt do them. Its what we were taught in class

    Yes we used butter icing for all.

    Hamburger was made with a round cake for the bottom and a cup shape mould (a cake baked in this mould) (you find these in cake shop or even at your home) .so its two different cakes.One for the top and one for the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can make them as well...... so if you need a cake for a birthday, engagement, Eid or any occasion let me kno.

    ReplyDelete