Monday, October 18, 2010

BREADS: Garlic bread and French Bread

This post is  dedicated to my friends and anybody who cant cook, learning to cook or struggling to cook



Garlic Bread

My favourite bread

    Suat Eman / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
  • 250 g flour
  • ½  tsp salt
  • 1 tsp yeast
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 oz butter- melted
  • 1 tbs milk powder
  • 2 tbs crushed garlic
  • ½ an egg
  • 3 oz cup water

 1. Mix flour, sugar, yeast, salt, milk powder , eggs, melted butter,
       garlic .
2. Next add water and knead the dough for 10 mins using your palm and dragging it onto the surface .
3. Roll the dough flat and toll it like a Swiss roll and let it rise for 15 mins.
4. Apply beaten eggs on top ,sprinkle with sesame seed(optional)
 bake it  in 180˚ for 15 mins or until the bread is done.
5. Once you take it out. Apply butter on top while the bread is still hot




French bread 

Suat Eman / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Same ingredients and method as garlic bread but do not add garlic to this.







HOW I MADE GARLIC BREAD


First I got all the stuff ready: eggs, yeast, butter, milk pwder,measuring spoons.




Next I added all the ingredients into my Kenwood stand mixer and turned on the machine .Its easier than making the dough by hand.



Dough is made .I usually take it out and knead it by hand for a few minutes .
 

Make sure to flour the surface when you are kneading the dough.Next roll the dough flat-but not too thin and roll it like a swiss roll.

The bread brushed with beaten eggs.Sprinkle sesame seed on top.


3 strand braided dough in the oven



Braided bread after its baked



D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S garlic bread......soooooo tasty.
You can cover the bread with foil the last 10 minutes(while its baking) to prevent the bread from turning brown.


A simple way to turn french bread into garlic bread: Just add crushed garlic to softened butter and leave it for about 30 mins or more.The butter will have a garlic flavour.You can spread this on french bread and put the bread in the oven on high heat for abt 5 mins.



Its time for Dinner.Almost 8 'o' clock

 
 
Garlic bread , Stir fried veges, chicken curry and fried fish.Not exactly the perfect combination but everybodyenjoyed this menu. 


I enjoy making bread .
Homemade bread tastes sooooo GOOD.
Try it  





COOKS NOTE: you can turn a plain French bread into a garlic bread by adding crushed garlic to butter and leaving this for a while. Apply this  garlic-butter to French bread and put the buttered bread in the oven for 5 mins on high heat.

Check out you tube for videos on how to make pleated breads(how to shape your bread dough into pleats) and other shapes for your bread .


VIDEOS ON HOW TO KNEAD THE DOUGH

How to knead the dough


VIDEOS ON SHAPING YOUR DOUGH



3 strand braided bread




7 comments:

  1. Oh nazi!
    Thank you so much for this.

    Today i attempted to make this.
    This is how it went.

    I was about ready to eat a cow in the evening and decided i will make myself something to eat as my husband was feeling lazy to go out and get cakes or something.
    SO i scan the ingredients of this recipe and decide its easy enough to make and delicious enough to put in some effort...PLUS i have just about everything i need, inlcuding the yeast bought some three hundred and fifty years back for a recipe i never made.
    I go about it Shabnam style...ie, read it off your blog as i measure and dump into the mixing bowl.
    I add the water and start kneading the dough when it starts getting all crumbly and looking like how a pie dough starts out.
    It looks so much like a pie dough(which is ridiculously easy to make and which i have tried bdw) that i eat some of the raw dough.
    Then i realize its extrenmely hard and it isnt going to lump up into a soft bread-y mass anytime soon.
    Somewhere then my husband decides to pop into the kitchen and tells me that i am doing a lousy job and that it "doesnt resemble your friend's thing at all".
    So i tell him to mind his own business.

    Right about now i am wondering what went wrong and if i should add more water.
    Then since my husband is on the computer i tell him to go to your blog and read out the ingredients and steps just in case.

    I missed out on the egg.

    Right. So i open the refrigerator and it seems that i am OUT OF EGGS.
    While my husband goes downstairs to get teh eggs i keep eating the dough and telling myself never to be this arapadichi ever again.

    He gets the dough and i add in the eggs and FINALLY it starts to resemble a normal bready dough.
    Ikram has to get in to help me knead at this point because it got too hard.

    At the end i had my dough looking exactly like yours! Yay!
    I am waiting for it to be done in the oven.. looks good!
    Cant wait to eat it!

    Thanks Nazi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The braided one looks so cool. I have a cool friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really easy bread recipe and its delicious.I have made breads many many times.

    BUT it takes a while to get used to the bread making. It all lies in the kneading and getting ALL THE INGREDIENTS especially not getting too much water .

    Flour your work surface and then start kneading for 10 mins...Its all in the KNEADING-after a few tries you'll get it...dont worry if you fail the first time .It took me a while to get it right (maybe 5-6 times) but I enjoyed making homemade brear.

    Failing made me want to try again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey maya thnx alot! i tried this out nd evry1 said its awsome. I've made this recipe b4 but had 4gtten all about it, and also had lost the recipe. In tht 1 v make it as 4 french bread, then fry the crushed garlic in the said amount of butter nd then pour this on top of the bun as soon as its baked. (incisions r made in the bun b4 bakin)

    ReplyDelete
  5. he he he shabnam!!

    the pics look great naz just makes u wanna try it! hey ashfa maybe u could bake some for me;)

    NAZI AM PROUD OF U!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really new thing that I saw in ur website..It so good …………………
    I loved ur blogs and wat information that u issued is really very usefull for us .. thanks
    Bakery Equipment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that my blog was useful...:)
      what exactly did u find useful?

      Delete